Rita Mae Brown's 'Cock-Eyed Gaze'

Rita Mae Brown, author of the classic lesbian novel “Rubyfruit Jungle” (1973) and the ongoing Mrs. Murphy mystery series, had some provocative things to say about her upcoming Pioneer Award from the Lambda Literary Awards: "I’m not even remotely interested in being gay," she said.

But another part of our conversation for a Washington Post interview might have been my favorite, when we veered into talking about Latin and the subjunctive tense.

"Subjunctive tense: Do you remember when you first had to learn the subjunctive tense? It’s almost vanished in English. I love it. It’s such a fabulous tool. If I say, 'I wish I were you,' you know perfectly well I cannot be well, but we’re going to an area now where I don’t have to prove anything, you don’t have to prove anything, and we can be imaginative and completely free with one another. I just find that one of the greatest intellectual gifts possible, as well as an emotional gift. I’ve been rereading my Lucretius, and whenever he flips into the subjunctive tense, I know I’m in a magic zone."

She receives her award June 1.

No comments: